Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bouzalouf

Bouzalouf is a dish that is made from parts of a sheep's head. Like the cheeks and tongue. I got all geared up to eat it last night, as I was famished from having fasted all day (it's Ramadan now) and I just couldn't do it. The part of the tongue flipped up towards me, the same consistency as my own tongue! I felt bad and rude and went to make an omelette. I was a vegetarian from age 9 to 23 and I think I still am one at heart...

I am wondering how the girls are going to handle a Ramadan performance. On a normal day they like to complain about not having much energy because of the heat...now imagine that mixed in with Ramadan...

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Heh heh...thanks for sharing that story Taous.
Your experience with that bit of tongue reminds me of when I first stayed with family over in Algiers back in 88. As a vegetarian, I simply couldn't understand how baking an entire sheep's skull and dipping bread into its brains could be considered a delightful meal. Nevertheless, everyone was greatly enjoying their dinner while I felt guilty about constantly gagging while watching everyone eat! The power of our mind and how it generates suggestions is quite astounding sometimes huh?

Wishing you all a blessed Ramadan,
Gillian

Gillian said...

p.s. Hope the last performance on Thursday night went well and that you'll keep us posted about when/if you're heading back to US.