Monday, June 9, 2008

A note on the state of the Algerian toilet

This is a major problem in this country. It finally dawned on me today—Algerian society has made way for women in the public sphere in the past 25 years. Women are always out and about, running for President, directing the cultural ministry, leading major organizations and political parties, working as Police Sargents, eating out at restaurants and so on and so forth. But the toilet in Algeria has not caught up. Bathrooms in restaurants are often without soap and a waste basket. Where we ate today as part of the festival they didn’t have any water. Today I am presenting in a conference at the Cultural House of Bejaia and I had to go to the bathroom. First of all to find a place to work and prepare before the festival I had to talk to 3 different people before they would let me into the room. Then I had to go to the bathroom. I ask at the “desk.” The man rummages in a drawer and pulls out a key and points 3 doors down. What if I had been at the Cultural House to see a film or a show and I needed to use the bathroom? I wouldn’t know to ask the man in the corner for a key! And in the bathroom there is no toilet paper because most Algerians assume foreigners who come should just adapt to the washing with water rather than wiping method. But there is no soap. So even if we wanted to wash instead of wipe it would be mighty difficult. And the flush on the Turkish toilet sends the water all throughout the WC causing a flood and nearly drowning my backpack. Oh my poor backpack that I will never be able to touch the bottom of again unless I put it through a washing machine with very very hot water.
I have learned never leave the house without Kleenex and hand sanitizer. Please note that at the festival in Egypt that I participated in this past February I was very impressed with the state of the toilets.
In Algeria I have done my business in the following places over the years: at an Army barracks, in a café with rats and cockroaches and at the home of strangers along the roadside. My step-aunt stops drinking water 2 days before going on a road trip. I am close to starting a nation wide petition to better the public sanitary conditions. There must be some oil or gas money...

No comments: